Friday, August 24, 2012

Written Wrapping

This is one of those tricks that turns really inexpensive materials into something really special.




I hate keeping around piles of wrapping paper.  To have themed paper for every occasion just adds up to a ginormous quantity.




So I just use that kraft postal wrap.  Yes, I know, it is super trendy and everyone is using it right now.  But there is some good sense behind this trend.  You can get a huge roll of the stuff for not much money.  I would recommend buying your rolls during the summer.  If you try to buy during the holidays, it will become a knife fight between you and several other people as you fight for the last roll.  No joke, this stuff evaporates by Thanksgiving and then all the hipsters who did not plan ahead start panicking as they realize they will have to use mainstream wrapping materials.  Much gnashing of teeth ensues.

You can decorate your papers to fit the occasion.  Generally, if I am going to decorate the paper, I will not go crazy with ribbons and other decorations, but more on wrapping for another post.




Today, I am just going to do written decoration and save stamping for another day.  You can use markers, pens, anything really.  To be honest, you don't even need to have nice handwriting.  Personally, I think that this is one of those occasions where more sloppy script looks more natural and so the sentiment seems more earnest.  I would say, though, that if your writing is illegible, then remember it is going to turn into a pattern as opposed to written communication.  But this is a good opportunity to practice one's penmanship.  Maybe even practice your 'kid' handwriting, which is something I struggle on.

I am using China ink and watered down acrylic paint as my inks and a brush as my stylus for this batch of paper.


 

It's pretty basic, just roll out a stretch and start writing.  Just make sure that you are making enough for whatever you need to wrap.

Sometimes I like to write out a poem that I know will be special to the recipient, but you really can't go wrong with just an 'I love you'.


No comments:

Post a Comment